By Daniel Sauer
In this winter cold, getting out of bed to get to the gym is a lot tougher than before. But, what if there was a way to strengthen some of your muscles from the comfort of your own bed?
Well, there are many different exercises one can do from their own bed. And there are even some added benefits!
Mattresses provide a slightly unstable surface. Similar to using a foam mat or exercise ball, bed exercises may help recruit small stabilizing muscles while working large prime movers. Unstable surfaces can be beneficial for building core strength, improving balance, and toning areas of the body like the abs and glutes.
- 1. Lie on your side, knees bent, hands out in front of your chest
- 2. Keeping this position, rotate from your trunk to try get the top arm flat on the floor on the other side.
- 3. Slowly return to the starting position.
- 4. Complete 2 sets of 10 repetitions per side
Glute Bridge and March
- 1. Lie on you back, with your knees bent and feet planted firmly.
- 2. Squeeze your glute muscles and lift your hips up, keeping your shoulders and feet on your bed
- 3. Keeping your hips up and your knees bent, slowly raise 1 leg and bring your knee towards your chest.
- 4. Lower that same leg back to the starting position, and repeat on the opposite leg
- 5. Once you have done this with both legs, lower your waist, and repeat the movements
- 6. Complete 3 sets of 10-12 repetitions per side
- 1. Get into a high arm plank position
- 2. Gently raise 1 hand and tap the opposite shoulder
- 3. Lower that hand repeat on the other arm
- 4. Complete 3 sets of 10-12 repetitions per side
- 1. Get into a ‘table top’ position, with your arms in line with your shoulders, and your knees in line with your hips.
- 2. Raise 1 arm and extend the opposite leg simultaneously.
- 3. Keep your hips straight and don’t create an arch in your back.
- 4. Return to the ‘table top’ position after 10 – 12 repetitions, and repeat on the opposite side.
- 5. Complete 3 sets of 10-12 repetitions per side
These few simple exercises should get the blood flowing and the body warm! Any exercise is better than no exercises, so try them out and see how you feel!
For other exercises, or help with any pain/discomfort please don’t hesitate to contact us!